Pereira, I. Rice (Irene Rice), b. 1902 d. 1971
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: ca. 9.0 linear ft. (on 11 microfilm reels)
Collection Summary: Correspondence; writings and notes; scrapbooks; business material; biographical data; photographs; inventories; exhibition catalogs; and printed material.
REELS D222-D223: Manuscripts; notebooks entitled "Concepts of Substance" containing notes, essays, quotations, a diary, and reviews; scrapbooks; and publications.
REELS 1296-1302 & 1322(photos): Personal and business correspondence; notes and manuscripts of her many philosophical writings on light, space, and the infinite; poems by Pereira and by others; sales and loan receipts for her paintings; inventories of her paintings; paint formulas and technical data; biographical data; notes for the Design Laboratory of the WPA-Fine Arts Project; statements by her about her art and about the alleged suppression of her art by the Museum of Modern Art; exhibition catalogs; clippings; and photographs of her works and personal photos.
REEL 2395: Course outlines, an activity report, and printed material pertaining to the Design Laboratory school of industrial design in New York City. Also included are outlines, writings, and printed material pertaining to Pereira's lectures at Columbia University, the Brooklyn Museum, Smith College, the Artists League, the University of Michigan, and for the United American Artists.
REEL 3470: A letter to Juliet Gordon, New York City, October 15, 1969, protesting the denigration of women by -"a whole battalion of these American super artists," and condemning the Museum of Modern Art for devoutedly supporting their art. She writes, "Only when a society is expiring do such aberrations and betrayal of the female become the cultural mode."
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter, writer, educator; New York, N.Y. Died 1971.
Material on reels D222-D223 lent for microfilming 1965 and material on reel 2395 donated 1965 by Irene Rice Pereira; material on reels 1296-1302, 1322 lent for microfilming, 1977 and reel 3470 donated 1978 by Djelloul Marbrook, nephew of Pereira.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels D222-D223, 1296-1302, 1322, 2395 & 3470 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Irene Rice Pereira papers, 1965
- Oral history interview with Irene Rice Pereira, 1968 Aug. 26-27
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Pereira, I. Rice (Irene Rice)