ACA Galleries records, 1917-1963

ACA Galleries, est. 1932
Art gallery
New York, N.Y.

This site provides access to the records of ACA Galleries in the Archives of American Art that were digitized in 2010. The records have been scanned in their entirety, and total 1,439 images.

Funding for the digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art


Collection size: 1.0 linear ft.

Collection Summary: The scattered records of the ACA (American Contemporary Art) Galleries date from 1917 through 1963, measure 1.0 linear feet, and include writings by founder Herman Baron, artists Philip Evergood and Anton Refregier, and art critic Elizabeth McCausland; printed materials; and photographs of Baron, ACA artists, art collectors, works of art, and exhibitions. Correspondence is with David Burliuk, Philip Evergood, William Gropper, Lewis Mumford, Moses Soyer, Max Weber, and others. Also found is a small group of Herman Baron's personal papers. The records are a rich resource for documenting the Social Realist artists and the militant socialist artists during the great depression and the post-World War II era of "McCarthyism."

Biographical/Historical Note: ACA Galleries (est. 1932) is an art gallery in New York, N.Y. Also known as A.C.A. Gallery and American Contemporary Art Gallery. Founded by Herman Baron, Stuart Davis, Yasuo Kuniyoshi, and Adolf Dehn on August 16, 1932 as an outlet for generally unknown and socially conscious artists. It was particularly important during the Depression period when it was closely allied with militant artists' organizations. Currently owned by Jeffrey Bergen.

Ella Baron, widow of the ACA Galleries' founder Herman Baron, donated the records to the Archives of American Art in 1965 and 1966.

Funding for the digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.

How to Use this Collection

Related Materials

The Archives of American Art holds the Herman Baron papers, dating from 1937-1967 which were donated by Syracuse University, George Arents Research Library in 1984. Some exhibition catalogs may be found here.