See where the Archives has been featured in other news sources.
Stay up-to-date with the latest news from the Archives of American Art.
- December 9, 2013The Archives of American Art is delighted to announce that the Archives of American Art Journal is moving to a peer-review system starting December 2013. For a debut issue to appear October 2014 we are inviting submissions of either critical research essays of up to 4,000-5,000 words (including endnotes); or short texts of up to 1,500 words (including endnotes) highlighting new acquisitions or noting discoveries in the Archives’ collections.
- November 25, 2013As the holiday season gets underway, the Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art will present a private look into the personal holiday correspondence that renowned American artists have sent to friends, family and associates. “Handmade Holiday Cards from the Archives of American Art,” which will be on view Nov. 27 to Jan. 5, 2014, will feature 60 one-of-a-kind cards in the Lawrence A. Fleischman Gallery at the Smithsonian’s Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture.
- September 19, 2013 | Press ReleaseKatherine Jentleson, a doctoral candidate in art history at Duke University, was awarded the Archives of American Art Graduate Research Essay Prize funded by the Dedalus Foundation Inc.
- August 7, 2013Artists, think your dog is cuter than Slipper the Dachsund? Send us a photo of you posing with your furry friend and we will post it to the Archives of American Art’s “Dog Days of Summer” Flickr set.
- June 27, 2013The Archives of American Art announces an upcoming symposium, American Art History and Digital Scholarship: New Avenues of Exploration, to be held at the Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture, in Washington, D.C., on Friday, November 15, followed by a one-day workshop at the Archives of American Art on Saturday, November 16.
- June 26, 2013The Archives of American Art announces the pre-doctoral fellowship appointment of Monica Steinberg for the 2013-14 academic year. Monica is a PhD Candidate in Art History at The Graduate Center of the City University of New York.
- March 19, 2013Kate Haw has been named the director of the Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art, effective May 13.
- March 8, 2013Interim Director of the Archives of American Art Dr. Liza Kirwin has been awarded the 2012 Secretary’s Research Prize for her exhibition catalog Lists: To-dos, Illustrated Inventories, Collected Thoughts, and Other Artists’ Enumerations from the Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art.
- March 7, 2013The Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art has been awarded a prestigious Windgate Museum Student Internship grant for 2013.
- February 15, 2013The Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art has launched 1913 Armory Show: The Story in Primary Sources at armoryshow.si.edu, a website celebrating the centennial of the International Exhibition of Modern Art.
Internship, fellowship, and volunteer opportunities provide students and lifelong learners with the ability to contribute to the study and preservation of visual arts records in America.
You can help make digitized historical documents more findable and useful by transcribing their text.