See where the Archives has been featured in other news sources.
Stay up-to-date with the latest news from the Archives of American Art.
- December 7, 2017 | Press ReleaseThe Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, presents a new exhibition from its expansive collection showcasing material from every state and the District of Columbia.
- November 16, 2017 | Press ReleaseThe Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art is planning an issue of the Archives of American Art Journal devoted to art and the environment. This special issue invites scholars and artists to explore environmental and ecological questions through the rich primary sources at the Archives of American Art. The call for proposals is now closed.
- October 17, 2017 | Press ReleaseThe Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art (the Archives) announced today that it has received a generous bequest of $2.5 million from Gerald E. Buck (1940‒2013) through The Buck Family Trust, based in Orange County, CA to endow the Archives’ collecting program on the West Coast.
- October 5, 2017 | Press ReleaseWashington, DC…The Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art announced today that it has acquired the records of Artists Talk on Art (ATOA), including audio and video recordings of more than 500 panel discussions, open screenings, and dialogues held in New York City.
- May 1, 2017 | Press Release
The Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art and the Terra Foundation for American Art today announced the launch of a new online guide to American art-related archival collections in the Chicago area. A $413,000 grant from the Chicago-based Terra Foundation supported a comprehensive survey of art-related archives in more than 75 Chicago-area institutions. This new resource has been published on an interactive platform on the Archives’ newly redesigned website.
- April 27, 2017 | Press Release
The Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art announced that it has received a $575,000 grant from the Henry Luce Foundation to support a three-year African American Collecting Initiative. While the Archives has collected the papers and oral histories of important figures in African American art from its founding in 1954, the grant will advance the process of building and strengthening the collection.
- December 6, 2016 | Press ReleaseThe Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art is planning an issue of the Archives of American Art Journal devoted to Latino art. This special issue will offer a valuable opportunity for scholars and artists to increase the visibility of Latino studies in the field of American art history as well as enrich the study of Latino art using primary sources at the Archives of American Art.
- September 22, 2016 | Press ReleaseWe are delighted to announce that the Archives of American Art has been selected as the inaugural recipient of the Don Tyson Prize from the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art!
- September 14, 2016 | Press Release
Jeff Richmond-Moll, a doctoral candidate in art history at the University of Delaware, has been awarded the fifth annual Archives of American Art Graduate Research Essay Prize, funded by the Dedalus Foundation. This prize recognizes emerging scholars who advance the understanding of American art history through the innovative use of primary sources at the Archives of American Art.
- August 31, 2016 | Press Release
In celebration of the 2016 grand opening of the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture, the Archives of American Art presents selections from recently acquired collections highlighting the cultural contributions and the personal stories of African Americans in the art world. The exhibition will be on view from September 23 through March 21, 2017, in the Lawrence A. Fleischman Gallery at the Smithsonian's Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture.
Internship, fellowship, and volunteer opportunities provide students and lifelong learners with the ability to contribute to the study and preservation of visual arts records in America.
You can help make digitized historical documents more findable and useful by transcribing their text.
A virtual repository of a substantial cross-section of the Archives' most significant collections.