Skip to main content

Willard Gallery records, circa 1940-1956

Historical Note

Willard Gallery was established as the East River Gallery in New York, New York, by Marian Willard in 1936. The gallery exhibited the works of artists including Sylvia Braverman, Alexander Calder, Lyonel Feininger, Loren MacIver, David Hayes, Ezio Martinelli, Louis Schanker, David Smith, and Mark Tobey. In 1938, the gallery's name was changed to the Neumann-Willard Gallery; it later became the Willard Gallery after Willard's marriage to Dan Johnson. Willard and Johnson ran the gallery until their retirement in 1970, at which point their daughter Miani Johnson took over operations until the gallery's closure in 1987.