Skip to main content

Willard Gallery records, 1917-1973

Willard Gallery records, 1917-1973

Willard Gallery

Collection Information

Size: 1.4 linear ft. (on 9 microfilm reels)

Summary: Correspondence; scrapbooks; material on David Smith; records relating to Lee Gatch; notebooks on Morris Graves and Mark Tobey; and miscellany.

Biographical/Historical Note

Art gallery; New York, N.Y. Founded 1936 by Marian Willard as East River Gallery. In 1938 changed to Neumann-Willard Gallery, then later became the Willard Gallery ca. 1945. Gallery remains in operation and still has possession of original documents lent to and filmed by the Archives as of 1992.

Provenance

Material on reels NWI-1, NLG-1, N69-114, N69-116-N69-118 & 822 lent for microfilming 1959-1974; and material on reels NDSmithA & 986 donated 1966 & 1974 by Marian Willard.

Location of Originals

  • Reels NWI-1, NLG-1, N69-114, N69-116-N69-118 & 822: Originals returned to Marian Willard after microfilming.

Additional Forms Available

Microfilm reels NWI-1, NLG-1, NDSmithA, N69-114, N69-116-N69-118, 822 & 986 available for use at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.

Restrictions on Access

Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.

How to Cite This Collection

Willard Gallery records, 1917-1973. Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.