Walter Inglis Anderson (1903-1965) was a painter, muralist, printmaker, and sculptor in Ocean Springs, Mississippi. He attended the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia from 1923 to 1929. In the 1930s, Anderson painted murals for the Ocean Springs School auditorium for the Works Progress Administration Public Works of Art Project. In 1940, following hospitalization for mental illness, Anderson moved to Oldfields, near Gautier, Mississippi. He returned to Ocean Springs in 1946 and from 1947 until his death he traveled repeatedly to Horn Island and other remote sites on the Gulf Coast to paint and write. In 1991, the Walter Anderson Museum of Art opened in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.