Size: 4.7 Linear feet
Summary: The records of the Torpedo Factory Art Center measure 4.7 linear feet and date from 1974-1996. The collection documents the history, operations, and activities of one of the largest and longest-running artist collaboratives in the United States and includes organizational records, correspondence, business and financial records, lists and directories, reports, event files, printed material, and photographs.
Construction of the original U.S. Naval Torpedo Station on the Potomac River, in Alexandria, Virginia, began on November 12, 1918. This station was responsible for the manufacture and maintenance of torpedoes for the next five years, when work stopped and the building served as a munitions storage facility until World War II. At this time, round-the-clock production of both submarine-borne and airborne torpedoes resumed, and ten buildings were added to the complex to accommodate the increased activity.
The collection was donated to the Archives of American Art in 1998 by Penelope C. Barringer for the Torpedo Factory Artists' Association.