Skip to main content

Thomas Wilmer Dewing and Dewing family papers, 1876-1963, bulk 1890-1930

Dewing, Thomas Wilmer, 1851-1938

Muralist, Painter

This site provides access to the papers of Thomas Wilmer Dewing and the Dewing family in the Archives of American Art that were digitized in 2016, and total 264 images.

Funding for the processing and digitzation of this colleciton was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.

Collection Information

Size: 0.3 Linear feet

Summary: The papers of Thomas Wilmer Dewing and the Dewing family measure 0.3 linear feet and date from 1876-1963. Found within the papers are biographical materials on Thomas Dewing; personal correspondence from Dewing, his wife Maria Oakey, and other family members; writings; printed materials; and photographs of Dewing, his family, and his work.

Biographical/Historical Note

Painters Thomas Wilmer Dewing (1851-1938) and Maria Oakey Dewing (1855-1927) lived and worked in New York, N.Y. and Cornish, New Hampshire. A native of Boston, Thomas Dewing began his art studies at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts and traveled to Paris in 1876 to study at the Académie Julian under Gustave Boulanger and Jules Lefebvre. He returned to Boston in 1877 and moved to New York City in 1880 where he met and married his wife, Maria Oakey, in 1881. Known for his tonalist style, Dewing taught at the Art Students League from 1881 to 1888, and was elected to the National Academy of Design in 1888. Dewing was also a member of the Ten American Painters, an exhibiting group that included Childe Hassam and William Merritt Chase. Prominent patrons of his work include the architect Stanford White and the art collectors Charles Lang Freer and John Gellatly.

Provenance

Thomas and Maria Dewing's daughter, Elizabeth Dewing Kaup, donated the papers in separate accessions beginning in 1959. In 1979-1980, ten additional letters were given by Mary Morain, the Dewings' granddaughter, through Susan Hobbs. Material was lent for microfilming by Mrs. Pete A. Gunther in 1980 and by Hugh Franklin in 1981. In 2009, an additional handful of correspondence and photographs were anonymously donated to the Archives.

Related Materials

Language Note

The collection is in English.

Funding

Funding for the processing and digitzation of this colleciton was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.