You are here
University Art Gallery exhibition records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
2.5 linear feet of material consisting of correspondence, news clippings and press releases, photographs, exhibit lists, contracts, committee minutes, annual reports, exhibition calendars, and other items documenting the exhibitions at the University of Illinois University Art Gallery between 1948 and 1963.
Biographical Historical Note
Located at Chicago’s Navy Pier between 1948 and 1963, UIC’s University Art Gallery held numerous exhibitions of student and faculty work, as well as hosting traveling exhibitions from Smithsonian Institution, the Museum of Modern Art, the Art Institute of Chicago, and the American Federation of Art. The gallery was managed by a committee headed successively by Professors Kenneth Shopen, John E. Walley, and John F. Richardson.