W. (William) Clement Stone/Sequoia Press design collection

Inclusive Dates: 
1949–1979

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

14 linear feet of material consisting of correspondence, speeches, pamphlets, catalogs and examples of publications designed and printed by the Sequoia Press. The materials reflect the career of William Stone and the printing work of the Sequoia Press.

Biographical Historical Note

William Stone was a graduate of Antioch College and the School for Graphic Design in Stockholm, Sweden, where he studied typography and calligraphy. After working at the Franklin Mint and as art director at Embossing Printers, Inc., Stone founded Sequoia Press in 1950. Specializing in fine typography, the Sequoia Press designed and printed corporate magazines and newsletters and participated in the Liber Liborum international Bible project.