You are here
Chicago Woman's Aid records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
24.0 linear feet correspondence, reports, memoranda, correspondence, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, minutes, and photographs that document the activities of the Chicago Woman’s Aid, including its Art and Literature Department, Applied Arts Committee, and Art Committee.
Biographical Historical Note
The Young Ladies Aid Society, organized in 1882, was incorporated by the State of Illinois in 1895 and renamed the Chicago Woman's Aid. The organization established programs of civic, philanthropic, literary, educational, and social welfare nature. Its Art and Literature Department encouraged local artists to exhibit their paintings, sponsored lectures and concerts for adults and children, and undertook other activities.