University of Chicago. Department of Buildings and Grounds records

Inclusive Dates: 
1892–1965

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

28.5 linear feet (57 boxes) of material documenting buildings erected during the University of Chicago’s expansion program of 1926-1931 and the University’s efforts to start remodeling, re-tooling, and expanding after the Great Depression and World War II. They include correspondence, faculty minutes, construction records, and financial records pertaining to new buildings and records of alterations on older structures. Included is a small volume of material relating to artwork on campus, including portraits, sculpture, woodcarving, ornamental iron, and stained glass in Burton-Judson Courts, art objects and murals [by Jessie Arms Botke] in Ida Noyes Hall, and portraits in Eckhart Hall.