You are here
Sylvia Shaw Judson collection
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
1.5 linear feet (3 boxes) and flatfile materials comprising photographs, slides, correspondence, holograph papers, typescript papers, printed material, drawings, woodblocks, negatives, and other objects relating to the work ad career of Sylvia Shaw Judson. Most of the materials documenting exhibitions pertain to the 1998 exhibition at Lake Forest College and the efforts of Alice Judson Hayes to plan a retrospective exhibition of her mother's work.
Biographical Historical Note
Sylvia Shaw Judson (1987-1978), daughter of architect Howard Van Doren Shaw, was a prominent sculptor who specialized in garden sculpture. Born in Chicago, she studied at the Art Institute. She traveled abroad and established a studio in New York before returning to Chicago in 1921. In 1942, Judson moved permanently to her family home of Ragdale, in Lake Forest, Ill., and established a studio there.
Related collections: Sylvia Shaw Judson Haskins papers, 1897-1981, Shaw-Wells family papers, 1792-1977, and Wells-Shaw family photograph collection, ca. 1870-1929, Chicago History Museum; and Clay Judson Papers, 1800-1966, Newberry Library; Sylvia Shaw Judson Haskins papers, 1897-1981, Chicago History Museum; Virginia Stewart collection on Sylvia Shaw Judson, 1890s-1970s, Lake Forest College.