You are here
Palette and Chisel Academy of Fine Arts Archive
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
5 binders and approximately 50 linear feet of material consisting of the administrative files and historical records of the Palette and Chisel Academy of Fine Arts, including membership records, exhibition and class catalogues and other publications, board minutes and quarterly meeting notes, and similar materials. The binders contain the bulk of significant historical materials, including summaries of the organization’s history, original photographs of club social events, exhibition catalogues, events announcements and other printed ephemera, clippings relating to the club and artist members, and correspondence, mostly personal and professional correspondence directed to club member and two-time president Otto Hake. The collection also includes files on several individual artist members of the club, much of it copied from standard biographical sources but also including extracts from club publications and exhibition catalogues. The collection may include items not found in the Palette and Chisel Club Records, 1895-1976, Newberry Library.
Biographical Historical Note
The Palette and Chisel Club was founded in Chicago in 1895 with the objectives of fostering growth in the visual arts, providing space for artists to work, and enriching the community through programs of art education. Its membership included numerous commercial artists and illustrators as well as painters, sculptors, and printmakers. Founding member Charles J. Mulligan was an assistant to Chicago sculptor Lorado Taft, who rented part of his studio to the fledgling organization. In 1921 the organization purchased its own quarters at 1012 North Dearborn Street and changed its name to the Palette and Chisel Academy of Fine Arts.