You are here
Records of the Woman's Club of Evanston
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
100 boxes, 51 scrapbook boxes, and 132 bound volumes of material consisting of newspaper clippings and other ephemera, photographs, minutes, yearbooks, bulletins, and related materials documenting the history of the Woman’s Club of Evanston and the work of its officers, board of directors, departments, and committees, including the activities of the Young Woman's Auxiliary. Some scrapbooks are rich in material documenting the annual art exhibitions. In addition, the extensive Art Exhibit files contain materials from the club’s annual art exhibition including programs, newspaper articles, lists of participating artists, registration forms, and financial information. Several folders also contain information about art at the club, including appraisals
Biographical Historical Note
The Woman's Club of Evanston (Illinois) was founded in 1889 to advance philanthropic, educational, cultural, and humanitarian principles and activities; to assist organizations dedicated to such purposes; and to offer opportunities for women to share common interests and concerns. The club continues to operate today.