You are here
Northwestern University's Department of Art Scrapbooks
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
Northwestern University’s Department of Art came under the auspices of the College of Liberal Arts during the 1923-24 academic year after previously having been a department of the School of Music. The department offered both studio art courses and instruction in the history of art from 1923 until 1972. In June 1970 the chairman of the department formally requested that the department of art be divided into two separate departments of art and art history. Two years later, in June 1972, this request was formally approved. Art History became a distinct department with its own chairman and faculty, and the Art Department was retained as a department concerned with education in the practice of art.