You are here
International Exhibition of Modern Art (Armory Show) collection
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
1 folder of material relating to the International Exhibition of Modern Art (known as the Armory Show of 1913). The collection includes the Association of American Painters and Sculptors statement of purpose and organization and membership list, an announcement for the Armory Show, a notice requesting examples of art work presumably sent to members of the A.A.P.S., correspondence, and an original pencil sketch design is for an Armory show poster by George M. Luks. John Mowbray-Clarke is the recipient of the correspondence from Hamilton Holt, Arthur B. Davies, Lydia S. Hays, and Elmer L. MacRae.
Biographical Historical Note
The Association of American Painters and Sculptors held their First International Exhibition at the 69th Infantry N.G.N.Y. Armory February 15-March 15, 1913. It was the largest exhibition of international modern art ever held, showing more than 1200 pieces. The impact on the art world, especially on young artists was immediate and intense. John Mowbray-Clarke was assistant-secretary and one of the charter members of the Association, which was formed in December of 1911. Arthur B. Davies, painter, was president of the group and acted as exhibition sponsor, and Elmer L. MacRae was also a member.