Winterbotham-Shaw Family papers

Inclusive Dates: 
1909–1991
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

0.8 linear feet (2 boxes) of material consisting of correspondence, documents and miscellaneous items relating to the families of Rue Winterbotham Shaw and Alfred Phillips Shaw. The collection includes three postcards from Alexander Calder and a letter from Jean Dubuffet to Rue W. Shaw; obituaries of Alfred and Rue Shaw; a youthful oil portrait of Rue Shaw and a sketchbook of hers; a group of Shaw family stories and sketches, and some miscellaneous memorabilia.

Biographical Historical Note

The Winterbotham and Shaw families were prominent in Chicago. Alfred Phillips Shaw was a successful architect who married Rue Winterbotham of Chicago in 1932; together they became prominent in the Chicago social and arts community. Rue Winterbotham Shaw was the president of the Arts Club of Chicago for thirty-nine years. She was a member of the Art Institute of Chicago’s twentieth century painting and sculpture committee. Rue Shaw brought many artists, musicians and lecturers of international importance to the city, including Alexander Calder, with whom she became friends. A supporter of contemporary art, she was an active organizer of major art exhibitions, and she successfully commissioned architect Mies van der Rohe to design the Arts Club’s interior when it moved to East Ontario Street.

Additional Notes

Related collection: Arts Club of Chicago papers, Newberry Library; [possibly:] Alfred P. Shaw Collection, Art Institute of Chicago, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries.