Town and Country Arts Club records

Inclusive Dates: 
1944–2007
Survey Repository: 
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

1.7 linear feet (4 boxes) of material consisting of the records of the Town and Country Art Club kept by various presidents, officers, committee chairmen, and members of the organization, including annual reports, minutes and attendance, membership lists and brochures, reading and lecture lists and scripts, histories of the club, correspondence, photographs and miscellaneous items.

Biographical Historical Note

The Town and Country Art Club was founded in 1932 as the Art Study Club and renamed the North Shore Arts Club in 1934; the current name was assumed in 1935. A North Shore suburban Chicago women’s social club, the organization defined its mission as "to study the great world arts that have gone before, to assist in their preservation for future generations, and to encourage the arts of the present day."