Society of Typographic Arts Workshop records

Inclusive Dates: 
1980–1995
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

Unprocessed. 1 linear feet (1 box) of material consisting of files about the workshop as well as samples of material produced by members.

Biographical Historical Note

The Society of Typographic Arts Workshop was organized in 1952 to give its members the opportunity to learn to use, design and experiment with type and block prints for letterpress printing. Located at the Newberry Library until 1980, it resumed operation in 1985 at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago under the name The School of the Art Institute Typography Shop. In 1995, it moved again, to become part of Columbia College’s Center for Book and Paper Arts.

Additional Notes

Related collections: Society of Typographic Arts collection of visual materials, Society of Typographic Arts visual materials for 1982-1983, Society of Typographic Arts visual materials primarily from the 1960s, and American Center for Design records, Chicago History Museum; Society of Typographic Arts records, 1927-2010, University of Illinois at Chicago, Richard J. Daley Library Special Collections and University Archives.