Rand McNally and Company records

Inclusive Dates: 
1856–1996
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

85 linear feet (128 boxes, 3 volumes, 16 oversize boxes, 4 shelves of oversize artifacts) consisting of the business records of the Rand McNally Company.  Series 3 contains general files on authors and artists as well as scrapbooks on many of the publications issued by Rand McNally between the 1950s and 1979. Series 5 includes many photographs of book illustrations, authors and artists.

Biographical Historical Note

Rand McNally was established in Chicago in 1856 by William H. Rand, who partnered with Andrew McNally in 1858. The company has become a prolific publisher with an established name in cartographic products.