You are here
Lambert Tree papers
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
Linear feet (8 boxes, 1 overside box) of material consisting of correspondence, speeches, drafts, documents, photographs, scrapbooks, and newspaper clippings relating to Lambert Tree, Cook County lawyer, judge, politician, philanthropist, and U.S. diplomat in Belgium and Russia. The collection contains some Tree family material and numerous items related to Tree's social, political, philanthropic, and diplomatic activities, among them a booklet and newspaper clippings commemorating the LaSalle statue that Tree donated to the city. Among the correspondents is George P. A. Healy.
Biographical Historical Note
Lambert Tree was a Cook county lawyer, judge, politician, philanthropist, and US minister to Belgium and Russia. As a patron of the arts, Tree commissioned a statue of French explorer La Salle for Chicago’s Lincoln Park in 1889. In 1894, in an effort to address the exodus of artists who had come to Chicago to work on the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893, Tree and his wife, Annie J. Magie, created the Tree Studios. Constructed on the west end of his own property, on State Street at Ohio Street, the building offered low-rent, well-lit studio-residences and became a haven for local artists.