Fortnightly of Chicago records

Inclusive Dates: 
1869–2006
Survey Repository: 
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

17 cubic feet (20 boxes) of material consisting of the records of the Fortnightly of Chicago, including historical material, meeting minutes (restricted), scrapbooks, notices, memorials, members' and guests' papers, photographs, yearbooks, and by-laws. Inventory available on site. Access to meeting minutes is restricted.

Biographical Historical Note

Founded in 1873, the Fortnightly of Chicago is the oldest women's association in the city. At the turn of the twentieth century the Fortnightly, along with other civic and women’s organizations in the city, funded a prize in the Art Institute of Chicago’s annual exhibition for Chicago artists. Club members were also active in developing the Woman’s Building at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.