Cliff Dwellers records

Inclusive Dates: 
1890–ongoing
Survey Repository: 
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

Unprocessed. 19 cubic ft. of material consisting of scrapbooks, photographs, members’ papers and registers documenting the history of the Cliff Dwellers Club.

Biographical Historical Note

The Cliff Dwellers was founded by writer Hamlin Garland in 1907 as the Attic Club and renamed two years later; the name was later changed Cliff Dwellers Club. The club was created as a forum and sanctuary for emerging artists, musicians, poets, architects, and art enthusiasts. Housed in the penthouse of Orchestra Hall, it counted among its members Lorado Taft, John McCutcheon, and Charles Hutchinson.