Charles L. Hutchinson papers

Inclusive Dates: 
1868–1934
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

2.1 linear feet (5 boxes) of material consisting of correspondence, writings, scrapbooks and miscellany related to Charles L. Hutchinson, Chicago financier, trustee, and philanthropist, particularly regarding Hutchinson’s relationship with the Art Institute of Chicago. The collection includes scrapbooks containing records of art purchases made by Hutchinson and his wife on extensive travels, both for their personal collection and for the developing Art Institute of Chicago, and other art-related material.

Biographical Historical Note

Charles Lawrence Hutchinson was a Chicago financier, trustee and philanthropist. His most notable service was to the Art Institute of Chicago, which he helped establish in 1879 and served as president until his death. Hutchinson was director and chairman of the Fine Arts Committee of the World’s Columbian Exposition, president of the American Federation of the Arts, and treasurer of the Cliff Dwellers and of the Municipal Art League He spent years searching for and acquiring works of art for the museum and for his personal collection as well, often traveling abroad on buying trips with his wife, Frances Kinsley Hutchinson, and sometimes with his friend and fellow-trustee of the University of Chicago, Martin A. Ryerson.

Additional Notes

Related collection: Charles L. Hutchinson Records, The Art Institute of Chicago, Institutional Archives; Charles L. Hutchinson papers, Chicago History Museum.