You are here
Carter H. Harrison IV papers
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
11.25 cubic ft. (23 boxes and 1 oversize box) of material consisting of correspondence, writings, clippings, photographs, and memorabilia relating to Chicago mayor Carter Henry Harrison IV (1860–1953) and his family. Correspondents include artists John T. McCutcheon, F. [Frank?] Millet, and Walter Ufer. Also included are materials relating to the Chicago Municipal Art Commission (1915), Harrison's art collection (e.g., 1929, 1941–1944), and Harrison's gifts to the Art Institute of Chicago (1932–1949). Series 12 consists of correspondence, clippings and other materials relating to the Chicago Commission for the Encouragement of Local Art (1915–1945, bulk 1930–1945), created by the Chicago City Council in 1914 at Harrison’s behest.
Biographical Historical Note
Carter Henry Harrison IV, like his father, Carter Henry Harrison III, was a five-term Democratic mayor of Chicago. He was also an avid art collector who donated his substantial art collection to the Art Institute of Chicago, including works by Paul Gauguin, Childe Hassam, Mary Cassatt, Claude Monet, and Toulouse-Lautrec. The Chicago Commission for the Encouragement of Local Art was created by the Chicago City Council in 1914 at Harrison's behest. Its purpose was to support local artists by purchasing some of their paintings and sculptures, and then displaying these works in the public schools, city hall, and other municipal buildings of Chicago. Harrison was appointed to the Commission in 1924 by Mayor William Dever, and served through the end of 1944.
Related collections on the Commission for the Encouragement of Local Art Commission for the Encouragement of Local Art Records, Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Library Center, Municipal Reference Collection; Commission for the Encouragement of Local Art Records, The Art Institute of Chicago, Institutional Archives.