You are here
Auditorium Theatre Council records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
Unprocessed. 0.4 linear feet (1 box) of material consisting of clippings, notes, memos, and press releases regarding the Auditorium Theatre. Collection includes details of the theater's condition at the end of the 1950s and the renovation to restore it to its former condition. Most materials seem to be used to generate attention and funds for the renovation project that took place throughout the 1960s.
Biographical Historical Note
The Auditorium Theatre Council was a not-for-profit group founded in 1960 to manage the Auditorium Theatre in the landmark Auditorium Building. In 2003 the Auditorium Theatre Council officially merged with Roosevelt University, which today owns the Auditorium Building. The Auditorium Building is a mammoth structure in downtown Chicago designed by the partnership of Dankmar Adler and Louis H. Sullivan. Completed in 1889, it incorporated a hotel, offices, a large theater, and a banquet hall, and was innovative in both its engineering and its style. The theater features mural paintings by Albert Fleury and Charles Holloway.