You are here
Arts Club records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
112.2 linear feet (200 boxes, 16 oversize boxes, and 51 volumes) of corporate records of the Arts Club of Chicago. Records include extensive exhibition files; photographs, audioreels, audiocassettes, and videocassettes relating to artists or activities at the Arts Club; exhibition catalogues, announcements, and other materials printed by the Club; scrapbooks of Club publications and clippings; and original artwork, mostly sketches or drawings either presented officially to the Arts Club or included in correspondence. Correspondents include Alexander Calder, Marcel Duchamp, Walt Kuhn, John Marin, Joseph Stella, James McNeill Whistler, and many others.
Biographical Historical Note
The Arts Club of Chicago was co-founded in 1916 by Rue Winterbotham Carpenter (Mrs. John Alden Carpenter) serving as Chairman of the Art Committee; Mrs. McGann, serving as President; Mrs. Jacob Bauer, serving as Chairman of the Executive Committee "to encourage higher standards of art, maintain galleries for that purpose; and to promote the mutual acquaintance of art lovers and art workers." Since its inception the Arts Club has been a pioneering force in modern and avant-garde art exhibitions, performances, lectures, and events in Chicago.