You are here
Cuneo Museum and Gardens administrative records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
5.75 linear feet off material consisting of photos, brochures, correspondence, promotional materials, and other documentation of Cuneo Museum and Gardens, including material relating to mural artist John Mallin, who decorated several rooms in the mansion.
Biographical Historical Note
Cuneo Museum and Gardens in Vernon Hills, Illinois, was constructed between 1914 and 1916 to serve as the home of Chicago business magnate Samuel Insull; it was subsequently owned by self-made entrepreneur John F. Cuneo and then his widow. In 1990, the property was donated to Loyola University Chicago, which now operates it as an art gallery and historic house museum.
John A. Mallin was a Czech-American mural and fresco painter in the Chicago area in the 20th century who painted many church interiors for the Archdiocese of Chicago.