Virginia Stewart collection on Sylvia Shaw Judson

Inclusive Dates: 
1890s–1970s (bulk 1920s–1970s)
Creator: 
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

4.0 linear feet of material gathered by Professor Virginia Stewart in preparation for a retrospective exhibition of Sylvia Shaw Judson Haskins, including her sculptures and biographical material about the sculptor, her life, and her family. The exhibition, held at Lake Forest College in 1998, was a Public History class project at the college and was the largest posthumous display of Haskins’s work. Works were drawn from both private owners and public collections, and the list of lenders to the exhibition was the most comprehensive record to that date of the locations of Haskins’s work.

Biographical Historical Note

Sylvia Shaw Judson Haskins, daughter of architect Howard Van Doren Shaw, was a prominent sculptor who specialized in garden sculpture. Born in Chicago, she studied at the Art Institute. She traveled abroad and established a studio in New York before returning to Chicago in 1921. In 1942, Judson moved permanently to her family home of Ragdale, in Lake Forest, Ill., and established a studio there.

Additional Notes

Sylvia Shaw Judson Haskins, daughter of architect Howard Van Doren Shaw, was a prominent sculptor who specialized in garden sculpture. Born in Chicago, she studied at the Art Institute. She traveled abroad and established a studio in New York before returning to Chicago in 1921. In 1942, Judson moved permanently to her family home of Ragdale, in Lake Forest, Ill., and established a studio there.