Vanderpoel Art Association archive

Inclusive Dates: 
1913–ongoing

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

Approximately 5 linear feet, 4 binders, 2 scrapbooks, and 12 flat files of material relating to the establishment of the Vanderpoel Art Association, its art collection, and the artists represented therein. Included are correspondence between John A. Campbell, the VAA’s first director, and numerous American artists and dealers regarding donations of artworks to the VAA; artists’ biographical information; conservation reports, notes, and other items relating to individual artworks in the collection; inventories; photographs of artists and artworks; clippings; and related items. The collection also includes John Vanderpoel’s original drawings for his influential 1907 manual The Human Figure.

Biographical Historical Note

The Vanderpoel Art Association was established in 1913 as a memorial to artist and influential Art Institute of Chicago teacher John Vanderpoel. Many of the works in its collection of some 600 paintings, drawings, prints, and sculpture were made by, and in many cases donated by, artists who had studied with Vanderpoel; the collection also includes paintings and drawings by Vanderpoel himself. Long resident at the Beverly Art Center, the collection is currently housed in the Chicago Park District’s Ridge Park Field House in the far-southside neighborhood of Beverly.

Additional Notes

Related collection: Beverly-Morgan Park Collection, Chicago Public Library, Harold Washington Library Center, Special Collections and Preservation Division