You are here
Janet Nickle collection
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
18 folders of material consisting primarily being reprints and typescripts of text of lectures delivered at the Institute of Design in connection with the 1948 “Society and Design” seminar. Among the lectures were “The Task of This Generation: Reintegration of Art into Daily Life by László Moholy-Nagy”; “Form and Motion” by Gyorgy Kepes”; and “The Means for Design” by George Nelson. The collection also includes materials relating to ID ’74, a combined seminar program entitled Chicago Bauhaus: Past, Present, and Future, for the ID alumni reunion event held May 11, 1974, and a directory of ID alumni, 1948–1973; excerpts from papers presented at the 1976 John E. Walley Commemoration Design Conference; and materials relating to the symposium held in 2002 in connection with Art Institute of Chicago exhibition “Taken By Design: Photographs From the Institute of Design, 1937–1971,” including a copy of remarks by Lloyd C. Engelbrecht entitled “Taken by Moholy: The Origins of the Institute of Design.”
Biographical Historical Note
The Institute of Design was founded under the name The New Bauhaus: Chicago School of Design in 1937 by László Moholy-Nagy, a Hungarian professor of the Bauhaus school. It was the immediate successor to the German Bauhaus, dissolved in 1933 under National Socialist pressure, and continued its philosophy of modernist, human-centered design. In 1939 the school changed location and was renamed the School of Design. It later merged with the Illinois Institute of Technology's College of Architecture, led by Bauhaus alumnus Mies van der Rohe, and in 1944 the School of Design was renamed the Institute of Design in Chicago.
Related collections: Institute of Design Collection, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago; Visual materials from the Institute of Design, Lyle Mayer photograph collection, Larry Janiak teaching at the Institute of Design and Larry Janiak papers, Arthur Siegel photograph collection and supplements, Eugene Dana collection of visual materials, Gordon Coster photograph, Chicago School of Design film out-takes, Eugene Dana collection of visual materials, Ray Pearson collection of visual materials, Ray Pearson papers, and Ray Pearson's Institute of Design collection of visual materials, Chicago History Museum; Institute of Design Records, Institute of Design Photography Oral History Project, Institute of Design Records, Institute of Design Photography Oral History Project, William Kessler Papers, Alain Findeli Papers, Allen Porter Collection, Roundtable discussion “Crombie Taylor, Aaron Siskind, and the Adler and Sullivan Project” and Crombie Taylor, Aaron Siskind, and the Adler & Sullivan Project Collection, F. Peter Weil Photographs, Beatrice Takeuchi Papers, Illinois Institute of Technology; Elizabeth H. Paepcke Papers, University of Chicago Library; Institute of Design collection, John E. Walley Papers, Leonard S. Rubenstein Design collection, Myron Kozman papers, Larry Janiak papers, Jack Weiss Associates collection, Lillian E. Hall papers, Robert Delson Papers,University of Illinois at Chicago, Richard J. Daley Library Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago