Beatrice Takeuchi papers

Inclusive Dates: 
circa 1942–2000
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

6 series [sic] consisting of materials created by or collected by Beatrice Takeuchi related to her academic program at Institute of Design and her subsequent professional activities as a design educator and creating architectural renderings. Some of the materials were created by others: Takeuchi’s fellow students at ID or students she taught at the Art Institute of Chicago. While some materials are personal in nature (e.g. correspondence), all relate to Institute of Design activities and people.

Biographical Historical Note

F. Peter Weil studied photography at the Institute of Design, beginning around 1952. Among his teachers was Aaron Siskind. Weil later worked as a professional photographer at the Newberry Library.

The Institute of Design was founded under the name The New Bauhaus: Chicago School of Design in 1937 by László Moholy-Nagy, a Hungarian professor of the Bauhaus school. It was the immediate successor to the German Bauhaus, dissolved in 1933 under National Socialist pressure, and continued its philosophy of modernist, human-centered design. In 1939 the school changed location and was renamed the School of Design. It later merged with the Illinois Institute of Technology's College of Architecture, led by Bauhaus alumnus Mies van der Rohe, and in 1944 the School of Design was renamed the Institute of Design in Chicago.

Educator; Chicago, Ill. and Washington, D.C. Takeuchi was born in Seattle, Wash. After the bombing of Pearl Harber, she was sent to a War Relocation Center, Pallyup, Wash. and Minidoka, Idaho in August 1942. In October of 1942 she was allowed to leave to pursue studies in industrial design and architecture at the Chicago School of Design (fd. 1937 as New Bauhaus). From 1945-54 she taught foundation and visual design and held various positions in architecture and design studios in Washington, D.C., moving to NYC in 1954 and working as a free lance architect until 1968. She lived and worked in Chicago from 1968-1993, when she retired to Michigan. 

Additional Notes

Related collections:Institute of Design Collection, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago;Visual materials from the Institute of Design, Lyle Mayer photograph collection, Larry Janiak teaching at the Institute of Design and Larry Janiak papers, Arthur Siegel photograph collection and supplements, Eugene Dana collection of visual materials, Gordon Coster photograph collection, Chicago School of Design film out-takes, Eugene Dana collection of visual materials, Ray Pearson collection of visual materials, Ray Pearson papers, and Ray Pearson's Institute of Design collection of visual materials, Chicago History Museum; Institute of Design Records, Institute of Design Photography Oral History Project, Institute of Design Records, Institute of Design Photography Oral History Project, Janet Nickle Collection, Alain Findeli Papers, Allen Porter Collection, Roundtable discussion “Crombie Taylor, Aaron , and the Adler and Sullivan Project” and Crombie Taylor, Aaron Siskind, and the Adler & Sullivan Project Collection, Beatrice Takeuchi Papers, Illinois Institute of Technology; Elizabeth H. Paepcke Papers, University of Chicago Library; Institute of Design collection, John E. Walley Papers, Leonard S. Rubenstein Design collection, Myron Kozman papers, Larry Janiak papers, Jack Weiss Associates collection, Lillian E. Hall papers, Robert Delson Papers,University of Illinois at Chicago, Richard J. Daley Library Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago