Municipal Reference collection clipping file

Inclusive Dates: 
1956–2011

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

Approximately 550,000 clippings on microfiche (pre-1989) and in approximately 378 linear feet of folders, relating to the city of Chicago from local and occasionally from national newspapers collected between 1956 and 2011, filed by subject. Included are materials on Chicago art, artists, art dealers, art fairs, monuments and statues, murals, public art, women in art, and on a few individual artists, such as Margaret Burroughs and Lorado Taft.

Biographical Historical Note

The Municipal Reference Library was the official public repository for documents issued by the City of Chicago. In 1993 its collections were deposited in the new Harold Washington Library center, the main branch of the Chicago Public Library, as the Municipal Reference Collection (but not in the Archives and Preservation Department). Its extensive files of clipping were amassed between 1956 and 2011.