Beverly-Morgan Park collection

Inclusive Dates: 
1884–2002 (bulk 1896–1956)

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

13.5 linear feet, 159 photographs, 3 oversize folders of material documenting the evolution of the separate but related communities of Beverly (annexed to Chicago in 1890) and Morgan Park (annexed to Chicago in 1914). The collection includes two folders of material relating to the John Vanderpoel Art Association in Beverly.

Biographical Historical Note

The Vanderpoel Art Association was established in 1913 as a memorial to artist and influential Art Institute of Chicago teacher John Vanderpoel. Many of the works in its collection of some 600 paintings, drawings, prints, and sculpture were made by, and in many cases donated by, artists who had studied with Vanderpoel; the collection also includes paintings and drawings by Vanderpoel himself. Long resident at the Beverly Art Center, the collection is currently housed in the Chicago Park District’s Ridge Park Field House in the far-southside neighborhood of Beverly.

Additional Notes

Related collections: Vanderpoel Art Association archive, Vanderpoel Art Association