Austin Community collection

Inclusive Dates: 
1860–1981

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

7 linear feet, 300 photographs, 19 oversize folders of material consisting of newspaper clippings, photographs, historical sketches, correspondence, scrapbooks, printed material, and ephemera documenting residents, businesses, clubs, religious institutions, residences, streets, and other aspects of the Austin neighborhood on Chicago’s West Side. Included is a small amount of material relating to the West Side Fine Arts Guild, the Austin Art Fair, and the Austin Academy of Fine Arts.

Biographical Historical Note

The Austin neighborhood is 7 miles west of Chicago’s so-called Loop, on the western edge of the city bordering Cicero, Oak Park, and Elmwood Park. Austin was annexed into Chicago in 1889. For much of its history Austin was a thriving middle-class community and home to several artists, who joined with those in neighboring villages to form the Austin, Oak Park and River Forest Art League in 1921.