The Deutch brothers were born in Budapest, Hungary, Stephen in 1908 and Alfred in 1902. Moving to Chicago in the 1920s, Alfred worked as a graphic artist for local clients such as the magazine the Chicagoan, but did not attain a high degree of commercial success. Alfred died in 1931. Stephen Deutch was a commercial photographer who had an eminent parallel career in editorial and artistic photographic work. He was also a noted sculptor. He studied woodcarving and sculpture in Budapest and subsequently learned the art and profession of photography by working with his wife, Helene Deutch, an established photographer in Paris in the early 1930s. They did commercial, portrait and fashion photography in a studio there before coming to Chicago in 1936. Beginning with Cornet magazine, based in Chicago, Deutch did work for many other magazines and for newspapers, as well as for major department stores and advertising agencies. After closing his studio in 1983, he returned to his first passion, sculpture.