South Shore Commission records

Inclusive Dates: 
1958–1976
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

40 Hollinger boxes (approximately 20 linear feet) of material relating to the South Shore Commission, including one folder of material relating to the South Shore Commission Art League, including correspondence, forms, flyers, financial statements, notes, mission statements, and proposals.

Biographical Historical Note

The South Shore Commission Art League operated in the 1960s, offering art classes, a workshop, exhibitions of local artists, and public school programming, as part of the South Shore Commission’s efforts to combat the deterioration of the South Shore neighborhood on Chicago’s South Side.