You are here
Society of Typographic Arts collection of visual materials for 1982–1983
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
Society of Typographic Arts visual materials for 1982–1983 (2 boxes, 1 drawer of posters) includes invitation and catalog for exhibition, slides used in slide show at exhibition, and (oversize) posters.
Biographical Historical Note
The Society of Typographic Arts was founded as in 1927 when the Chicago chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts broke away to create a separate design group. Its aim was to promote high standards of design, the education of designers, and public awareness of the role of good design, and to sponsor exhibitions, including an annual Design in Chicago Printing Exhibition, and a printing workshop at the Newberry Library in Chicago. The Society of Typographic Arts became known as the American Center for Design in 1989. The organization closed in 2002. Later, a successor organization in Chicago resumed use of the name Society of Typographic Arts.