You are here
Ray Pearson's Institute of design collection of visual materials
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
Ray Pearson's Institute of Design Collection of Visual Materials consists of c. 2,000 photographic prints, c. 300 negatives, 120 transparencies (color slides), and 33 reels of 16 mm. film relating to the Institute of Design and collected by Pearson. Includes photographs of and by faculty and students of the ID facilities when it was independent and at Illinois Institute of Technology; students at work; and both student and faculty art work, such as drawings, sculpture, and product design. Many photographs show buildings in the United States designed by Louis Sullivan. Other topics include Chicago urban areas and housing projects. Includes photographs by faculty Leon Lewandowski, Alvin Loginski, Richard Nickel, and Aaron Siskind, among others. Also includes paper ephemera, such as announcements, business cards, and other items designed by students; experimental and documentary films; and portfolios and prints. Includes one box of periodicals and occasional publications relating to the Institute of Design or its faculty. Also includes one folder of clippings, notes, and other paper ephemera.
Biographical Historical Note
The Institute of Design began in Chicago in 1937 as the New Bauhaus; closed in 1938; reopened in 1939 as the Chicago School of Design; changed name in 1944 to the Institute of Design; and became affiliated with the Illinois Institute of Technology in 1949.
Related collections: Institute of Design Collection, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago; Visual materials from the Institute of Design, Lyle Mayer photograph collection, Larry Janiak teaching at the Institute of Design and Larry Janiak papers, Arthur Siegel photograph collection and supplements, Eugene Dana collection of visual materials, Gordon Coster photograph collection, Chicago School of Design film out-takes, Eugene Dana collection of visual materials, Chicago History Museum; Institute of Design Records, Institute of Design Photography Oral History Project, Institute of Design Records, Institute of Design Photography Oral History Project, Janet Nickle Collection, William Kessler Papers, Alain Findeli Papers, Allen Porter Collection, Roundtable discussion “Crombie Taylor, Aaron Siskind, and the Adler and Sullivan Project” and Crombie Taylor, Aaron Siskind, and the Adler & Sullivan Project Collection, F. Peter Weil Photographs, Beatrice Takeuchi Papers, Illinois Institute of Technology; Elizabeth H. Paepcke Papers, University of Chicago Library; Ray Pearson collection, Institute of Design collection, John E. Walley Papers, Leonard S. Rubenstein Design collection, Myron Kozman papers, Larry Janiak papers, Jack Weiss Associates collection, Lillian E. Hall papers, Robert Delson Papers,University of Illinois at Chicago, Richard J. Daley Library Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago