You are here
Portrait of John T. McCutcheon
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
Portrait of John T. McCutcheon, 1909, and Portrait of John T. McCutcheon, 1909 [2 separate “collections”] consist of 2 autochrome portraits of John T. McCutcheon: 1 displayed in its original collapsible viewer; 1 includes the original French "A. Lumiere & ses fils" autochrome box dated 1909.
Biographical Historical Note
Newspaper political cartoonist John T. McCutcheon was born near South Raub, Tippecanoe County, Indiana. He was the younger brother of novelist George Barr McCutcheon, writer of the Graustark books. John McCutcheon attended Purdue University, where he worked with typographer Bruce Rogers on the student newspaper and yearbook. He worked at the Chicago Morning News (later named the Chicago Record) and then at the Chicago Tribune from 1903 until his retirement in 1946. McCutcheon was the first President of the Chicago Zoological Society from 1921 until 1948, overseeing the construction, opening and early years of Brookfield Zoo.
Related collections: John T. McCutcheon papers, Bruce Rogers papers, George Ade papers, Fanny Butcher papers, Carter H. Harrison IV papers, Little Room records, Newberry Library; John Tinney McCutcheon cartoons, Northwestern University Library, Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections; Horace Spencer Fiske papers, Herbert. R. Strauss Collection of Theodore Roosevelt papers, University of Chicago Library; John T. McCutcheon collection, Indiana Society of Chicago records, University of Illinois at Chicago, Richard J. Daley Library Special Collections and University Archives; Charles Gates Dawes papers, Evanston History Center.