Photographs of the Auditorium Theater and Hotel

Inclusive Dates: 
circa 1890–1899
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

1 album of 24 albumen photographic prints by commercial photographer J. W. Taylor showing interior and exterior views of the Chicago's Auditorium Theater and hotel, designed by the architects Adler & Sullivan in 1889, including views of the auditorium interior and other spaces.

Biographical Historical Note

The Auditorium is a mammoth structure in downtown Chicago designed by the partnership of Dankmar Adler and Louis H. Sullivan. Completed in 1889, it incorporated a hotel, offices, a large theater, and a banquet hall, and was innovative in both its engineering and its style. The building is now owned by Roosevelt University. The theater features mural paintings by Albert Fleury and Charles Holloway.

Additional Notes

Related collection: Auditorium Theatre Council records, Chicago History Museum; Auditorium Theatre Council Records, Newberry Library; Small Manuscripts Collections – General, University of Illinois at Chicago.