Jewish Community Centers of Chicago records

Inclusive Dates: 
1904–1985
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

Correspondence, minutes, reports, community surveys, financial records, studies, membership statistics, student records, and scrapbooks of programs and newsclippings by and about the Jewish Community Centers of Chicago and its predecessors. The collection includes 13 scrapbooks documenting the Center’s art program, 1923–1950, including announcements of art classes and exhibitions and catalogs of the First Exhibition of Acquisitions of the Jewish Museum Association of Chicago, 1928; of works by Jewish artists at the Jewish Women’s Art Club, December 1928 (exhibiting artists included Emil Armin, Leon Garland, Todros Geller, and A. Raymond Katz); and of the 3rd Annual Exhibition of the Lilien Sketch Club, 1929, with works by Aaron Bohrod, Mitchell Siporin, Oscar Van Young, and others.

Biographical Historical Note

The Chicago Hebrew Institute was founded in 1903, renamed the Jewish People’s Institute in 1922, and renamed again in 1946, becoming the Jewish Community Centers of Chicago.