James Prestini collection of Frank Barr designs

Inclusive Dates: 
circa 1940–1969
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

Frank Barr was a typographer and printer who was on the faculty of the Institute of Design.

The Institute of Design began in Chicago in 1937 as the New Bauhaus; closed in 1938; reopened in 1939 as the Chicago School of Design; changed name in 1944 to the Institute of Design; and became affiliated with the Illinois Institute of Technology in 1949.