You are here
Benjamin Galleries records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
18 items relating to Benjamin Galleries, Chicago, consisting of letters from other galleries, museums, dealers, and artists; a few itemized shipping lists; a few articles; and an expense statement from 1947.
Biographical Historical Note
Benjamin Galleries was opened in 1939 by Dr. Benjamin Krohn, a Chicago dentist who was also an accomplished painter, to sell good art in a broad price range and in informal surroundings. The original gallery was located in Krohn’s apartments at 222 E. Ontario and later at 154 E. Superior Street. After Krohn's death in 1957, his wife Neva continued to operate the gallery, at 900 N. Michigan Avenue. In May, 1979, she sold the business to Orville C. Beattie.