B. Leader & Sons photograph collection and B. Leader & Sons items

Inclusive Dates: 
circa 1920–1997, circa 1957–1990
Survey Repository: 

This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.

Descriptive Summary

B. Leader & Sons photograph collection consists of 26 photographic prints, 15 color photographic prints, and 5 color transparencies showing jewelry designed and crafted by B. Leader & Sons (Chicago, Ill.) as well as images of several generations of Leader family members who worked in the business, including Michael Leader, Hymen Leader, Rose Leader, Jesse Leader, Tillie Leader, and store founder Benjamin Leader.

B. Leader & Sons items, consists of material relating to the Chicago jewelry manufacturer and retailer, B. Leader & Sons, including a letter from Hyman Leader requesting a reference for a possible customer; a letter from Montgomery Ward requesting merchandise samples; a 1957 B. Leader & Sons catalog; an invitation to the opening of the Halsted Street store, ca. 1980; and a magazine article on the history of the store, ca. 1990.

Biographical Historical Note

Chicago jewelry manufacturer and retailer B. Leader & Sons, was founded in 1913 by Benjamin Leader, a German immigrant, and operated by various family members over the years. The company designed and manufactured the jewelry sold in the store, located at 2024 North Halsted Street in Chicago from the 1980s until the business closed in the early 2010s.