You are here
Auditorium Theatre Council (Chicago, Ill.) records
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
2.5 lin. ft, of material consisting of correspondence, clippings, by-laws, minutes, articles, programs and other records of the Auditorium Theatre Council. Consists primarily of correspondence (1960–1973) of Beatrice Spachner (Mrs. John V. Spachner), chair of the Auditorium Theatre Council. Topics include administration and restoration of the Auditorium Theater, policy-making by the executive board, and relationship to Roosevelt University.
Biographical Historical Note
The Auditorium Theatre Council is the not-for-profit group founded in 1960 to manage the Auditorium Theatre in the landmark Auditorium Building. The Auditorium is a mammoth structure in downtown Chicago designed by the partnership of Dankmar Adler and Louis H. Sullivan. Completed in 1889, it incorporated a hotel, offices, a large theater, and a banquet hall, and was innovative in both its engineering and its style. The theater features mural paintings by Albert Fleury and Charles Holloway. The building is now owned by Roosevelt University.
Related collections: Photographs of the Auditorium Theater and Hotel, ca. 1890-1899, Chicago History Museum; Auditorium Theatre Council Records, 1955-1970, Newberry Library; Small Manuscripts Collections – General, University of Illinois at Chicago.
Spelled Auditorium Theater Council in council’s own publications.