You are here
Arthur Siegel photograph collection supplement 1
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
Supplement 1 (3 boxes of visual materials) is a collection of photographs, negatives, slides and related materials from the estate of Chicago photographer Arthur Siegel.
Biographical Historical Note
Arthur Siegel was an American photographer and photojournalist who served as a teacher and president of the Institute of Design at Illinois Institute of Technology.
The Institute of Design began in Chicago in 1937 as the New Bauhaus; closed in 1938; reopened in 1939 as the Chicago School of Design; changed name in 1944 to the Institute of Design; became part of the Illinois Institute of Technology in 1949.
Related collections: Arthur Siegel Papers, Ryerson and Burnham Archives, Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago; Visual Materials from the Institute of Design, Studs Terkel/WFMT Oral History Archives, Chicago History Museum; When Aaron Met Harry Exhibition Files, Museum of Contemporary Photography at Columbia College Chicago.