You are here
Architectural records for buildings by Francis Barry Byrne
This record forms part of the Chicago’s Art-Related Archival Materials: A Terra Foundation Resource project funded by the Terra Foundation for American Art. For this project, the Archives surveyed archival repositories throughout the Chicago region to identify art-related materials contained in their holdings. While the Archives of American Art does not own any of the materials described herein, information about those materials and links to the original repositories have been included when available.
Approximately 149 job files (115 linear feet) for buildings, alterations, interior design, and some furniture by Francis Barry Byrne. Included are materials created in collaboration with his wife Annette Cremin Byrne, Walter Burley Griffin, sculptor Alfonso Iannelli, and Bernard J. Parks. Also present are photocopies (no originals) of correspondence, wood block prints, and photographs relating to Byrne from Lyonel Feininger, a teacher and artist at the German Bauhaus, circa 1925–1931.
Biographical Historical Note
Barry Byrne was born in Chicago; joined the Frank Lloyd Wright Studio in Oak Park as an apprentice circa 1901 and remained there for 6 years; became a partner with Andrew Willatzen's practice in Seattle in circa 1910; returned to Chicago circa 1913 to assume the practice of Walter Burley Griffin, while he went to Australia; maintained his own practice based in Chicago, 1917-1930; married artist Annette Cremin in 1926; moved to New York City and served as director of the Liturgical Arts Society; returned to the Chicago area in 1945 and established a practice with Bernard J. Parks that continued until his death in 1967.
Lyonel Feininger was a German American painter and a leading exponent of Expressionism. He also worked as a caricaturist and comic strip artist.